Wednesday, June 30, 2010

June 30 - Trip from Pendleton, OR, to Lynden, WA











What a beautiful drive! We started out in the desert mountains, like we had in Pendleton. Then this snow-capped mountain started popping up. We looked at the atlas and found out it was Mt. Rainier. Then as we traveled, we started seeing lots and lots of vineyards. Then the apple orchards mixed with the vineyards. It was quite a contrast from the desert mountains above and the lush green below. We left Pendleton at 7:00 a.m. and got to Lynden around 2:15 p.m. We will try to go to bed early and get up early again to cross the border. I knew potatoes were not allowed, but the lady here at the desk said no fresh fruit, vegetables, nor beef! I had all beef hot dogs, frozen ground beef, three onions, and a bag of garlic bulbs. I donated them to the office. I had to waste! We gassed up the truck and got some Canadian money for things we will not charge. It looks like funny money. Phil and I are still smiling about the Gamecocks winning the national championship in baseball. I hope that ends the chicken curse!




Phil saw Terry Chick was an evening news anchor for a Washington tv station. I e-mailed him and he e-mailed me back. Phil and I both taught his two children. He caught me up on them. The son is recently married and his wife starts on her Ph.D. at UT this August in herpetology. His daughter works in L.A. He loves the weather and said he could hardly write his 11:00 p.m. broadcast for listening and pulling for the Gamecocks. I wish I could have stayed awake to listen to his newscast to see if he said anything about the Gamecocks' win.




I hope all goes well, smoothly, and fast at the border tomorrow. I sure do not want to be pulled aside and have to open the camper for an inspection! We think we are OK. I sure hope so! I'll be praying! Once we get to the border, I will take the battery out of the cell phone. It cost about $5.00 to call and get a reservation at the campground (would not do it online). The wifi is spotty, so we will try to get online somewhere in the campground to check e-mail. It just depends on how irritating it is as to whether I will blog while there. If it is a pain, I'll catch up when we leave July 8.




No comments:

Post a Comment