Thursday, July 1, 2010

July 1 - Canada Day in Canada

The campground in Lynden, WA, was within 10 miles of the Canadian border. The manager at the campground had told me we could not take any fresh vegetables or fruit, and no beef was allowed. So, I gave my three sweet onions, a mesh bag of garlic bulbs, a pack of lean ground beef, and a pack of angus beef hot dogs to the people in the office. When we crossed the border this morning, we went straight to the booth - no wait!!!! The young man asked us a couple of questions and looked at our passports, and we were free to go. He asked for our truck license plate number, if we had any mace, pepper spray, weapons, or firearms. He asked if we had ever been to Canada. Then he told us to have a nice visit. He did not even ask if we had potatoes!
There were miles and miles of Canadians waiting to get into the U.S. at the border. It is a holiday, Canada Day, and I guess they were headed “stateside.” After seeing the price of everything here, I don’t blame them! We had noticed that most of the people in the campground last night were from British Columbia. The license plates here in this campground are from everywhere. The neatest license was from Yukon. I have never seen one of those!
We had to go to the grocery store, since we had given away our possibilities for supper tonight. We set the GPS for Walmart. We got to where it said it was, but we saw no sign of a Walmart. There was a Safeway and a store called Bay. Finally we parked and went in, and it turned out to be a mall. The Walmart was a store on the second floor. It did not have much food, but it had some unique foods I had never seen in Walmart. They had Lychees in syrup and sweet mustard pickles, among quite a few other things I’d never seen in our Walmarts. We are in an Asian area because there is Asian and English writing on every sign. In Walmart, the language I heard the most was an Asian one. I do not know if it was Chinese, Korean, or what. We decided to go to the Safeway. I got a Safeway card, and we picked up a couple loaves of bread, hot dogs, and a small thing of light sour cream. They don’t have Oscar Myer hotdogs or any other brand I knew. I hope the ones I bought are good. We will find out at supper.
We do not get WiFi at our campsite, which was no shock. We will go to the lounge above the pool to see if we can get it there. If so, I’ll post this blog. If not, this blog will be the beginning of a combined blog and posted whenever we get WiFi. (It works in the lounge - where I am now.)
It is raining today. It has not stopped. The high is 61. It has been cool since the second day in Pendleton, and we have been back in jeans. I just love it! July in jeans. Sounds good, doesn’t it?
There should be fireworks tonight for Canada Day. I hope the rain stops, so we can see them.
We have been studying the public transportation. We can get a bus at the end of the street which will take us to a Skytrain connection. We can buy a one day pass for $9 which will get us on any bus, Skytrain, or Seabus. There is a good chance it will rain Sat. and Sun., so we will try to plan our sightseeing days on the other days.
I forgot to mention the train tracks - on just the other side of the campground. Our camper vibrates when one passes. When the first one came through, I thought it was a jet landing, and we had an air port nearby. Dear Gussy, I hope there are not many during the night or early morning! This place was rated the highest and is very expensive. We also had to park our car in a parking lot which is a pain in the rain. Oh well, if we can get on the computer after supper, it will go a long way making up for the trains…..I think!
I did not bring my camera to the lounge because I wanted to see if I could get online. Now that I know I can, I will post some photos tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment