Thursday, July 8, 2010

July 7 - Whistler











My favorite day here! I am so glad we decided to go to Whistler. The Sea-to-the-Sky Highway is awesome! I took hundreds of photos(only 228). I took a lot were while traveling, so I got the bug blur in spots. Whistler Village was nice. We walked all around that and took photos. On the way back, we turned in to the Whistler Olympic Park about five miles or so from the village. That was really cool. We got to see where they had all the Nordic events like the ski jumping area, the bi-athlon and cross country skiing areas. They are dismantling all the platforms that held cameras and a lot of other stuff. There is cable lying everywhere. We had to pay $10 to see this, but it was worth it. When we were leaving, we noticed to cars stopped on the side of the road. We saw a little cub, so we stopped and took some photos. Then we took off again, and less than a minute later, there was a mom and two cubs. We took some more photos. We took off again, and less than a minute down the road, there was a yearling. We stopped and took some more photos. We never saw the mama of the first little cub. He was tiny, so he had to have been born this past winter. I am sure Mom was close by. In Whistler Village, we got to see a lot of ski runs on the sides of the mountains at Whistler. Whistler reminds me of Gatlinburg, just bigger.
On the way back, I took lots of photos hanging out the window. Phil stopped at the pull-overs, but there were few. We left around 9:30 a.m. and got home around 6:30 p.m., so we had a full day. We did not eat lunch until after 2:30. I was starving! We passed by an exit to a town that boasts it is the eagle capital of the world. I told Phil I could eat some fried eagle! Finally we stopped to eat. Phil had been wanted to eat at a White Spot Restaurant. There are a lot of them. I got Bishop Curry. It was awesome! Phil got a French Dip Beef Sandwich and fries, which he said was really good. It is not a good thing to go from a piece of cheese toast for breakfast until 2:30. I tend to get a tad cranky. The server asked where we were from. We told her, and she said she had just returned from Tennessee. She had gone to Bonaroo!!!!! Can you believe that???? So funny! She said she had never been so hot in her life. Isn’t humidity wonderful? It was actually quite warm here, too. It said 90 on the road, but in the shade it felt very comfortable.
It is just hard to believe what this place was like five months ago! I also was amazed at how far Whistler is from Vancouver. This evening, we will start putting stuff away and getting ready to pop down tomorrow morning. I hope we get across the border as easily as we did coming. It will be so good to get Wi-Fi in our camper, park the truck at the campsite, and not hear any trains! We found gas for $1.07.9 a liter today. That is 10 cents cheaper than around here or in Vancouver. Yeee-ha! The good old U.S.A.! We head to Bellingham, SA, tomorrow. Phil needs to get the oil changed in the truck, and I need to do laundry.

No comments:

Post a Comment