Saturday, July 17, 2010

July 18 - Apgar to Logan Pass













Another WOW day. I fixed a sandwich for each of us and packed some chips and drinks. The plan was to picnic somewhere in Glacier N.P. It takes about 30 minutes to get to the west entrance, just passed West Glacier. We headed for the Apgar picnic area. The tables by the river were all taken, so we just parked and took our chairs down to a nice area right by the water. The scene was beautiful and would have been very tranquil had it not been for millions of flies! Before I tell you something, I first must tell you that mosquitoes love me. I am four or five star dining to them. They have to be desperate to go after Phil. He says I am the best mosquito repellent he could get. OK, so back to today and the flies. We are sitting there. I am eating, and Phil is slapping himself silly trying to eat. I casually said, "The flies really seem to like you." He turned to me and said, "I must be the closest thing to crap they can find." It is just a good thing I had just swallowed, or I would have surely choked to death. I nearly died laughing.

When we finished lunch, we made a hasty retreat to the truck, and Phil decided we should drive up the Going to the Sun road for a little bit. Once we got started, we did not turn around until we got to Logan Pass, about half way. This is a VERY narrow road. The is no shoulder, and the wall of rock juts out in many places, making this quite a thrill ride/drive, especially when the shuttle takes up part of both lanes.

We saw seven mountain goats. Four were two moms and babies. On the way back, a mom and baby were going down the middle of our lane. Then we reached a snow slide (complete with rocks) that had covered our whole lane. With the goat jam, we had to just sit there forever. I got more goat photos than I needed. My dad had told me about almost running into one on a trail when he and Mom were here years ago. Dad, Phil wants to know if any of these are the one....hahaha!

It was a lovely day. We will probably take the shuttle from St. Mary's on the east side when we camp over there and ride it to Logan Pass and back. We hope the flies are not on the east side!

No comments:

Post a Comment