Friday, July 9, 2010

July 9 - A Whale of a Day!!!!!
















Today was a God thing. I have always wanted to go whale watching, but never in a million years did I ever think I'd get to do it. On this whole trip, every time I see beauty or animals in nature, I feel it is God saying to me, "Child, I love you. This vision is for you." Today felt absolutely spiritual. The boat ride through the San Juan Islands was beautiful. Mt. Baker and the jagged mountains near it were beautiful.
It took two hours to get to the whales. We had already seen some harbor seals. I learned that they must get out of the water to warm up every four to six hours or they get hypothermia. They only have an inch of fat. They are called rock sausages when they are sunning.

After two hours, the first orca was spotted. With the boat rocking and my excitement, I took a lot of shots before I ever even caught a fin. Then more showed up. We were seeing L pod. There are three pods in the area, and today we got to see L pod and some K pod. J was way south of us today. The company sends a seaplane out every morning to spot where the whales are for the day.
If I needed confirmation that today was definitely a God thing, the naturalist who goes on all the trips and gives narrative and info of what we are seeing told us that today was the best day in two years. We saw more breaches and whales than she has seen in two years' trips. There was a baby born very recently. In some of my photos, I can see a smaller fin. She said the milk is the consistency of yogurt and the mother and baby do not sleep for the whole first month after the baby's birth.

Today will go down as one of my best, most awesome, thankful days! Thank you, Lord! It was a whale of a day!

No comments:

Post a Comment