Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Aug. 3 - Ennis to Conrad, MT

Well, I am going to learn to check the state DOT's for construction sites because Hwy. 287 was mostly under construction, and we took it for over 100 miles to get to I-15 at Helena. There were miles and miles of just dirt with a little gravel on it. The worst part was a long, long, long section of tar with loose gravel (called chip and seal). It sounded like we were in an awful hail storm. There are tar covered pebbles all over the truck and camper. Phil said he would probably never get it all off. He was just a little irritated by it (gross understatement). So we left Ennis around 10:00 and got to Conrad around 4:30. I am so glad I had some homemade spaghetti sauce in the freezer for tonight! Tomorrow we go to St. Mary, which is no more than 150 miles from here. We will stay three nights before going to Canada. I have already started praying that we have a quick, successful crossing at the border because this pantry and frig are full to the brim!
I took some photos today as we traveled. It was fun to go through Townsend, MT. I enjoyed the Missouri River and saw a good many float boats and even two people tubing.


Dirt with a little gravel on and on and on....

I LOVE this sign!!! Wish we could get one for our Townsend!




I have yet to get out my jeans. Last summer, we probably were in jeans all but about 10 days. This summer is much hotter. The only place we had a problem with mosquitos was St. Mary last year. This year I hear they are awful in Yellowstone, Tetons, AND St. Mary/Glacier. I hope they are not bad in Banff. The weather report for Banff has it raining our first five out of six days. I also hope we can get to Lake Louise this time without all the smoke from fires in BC.

No comments:

Post a Comment