Friday, August 13, 2010

Aug. 12 - Kootenay and Yoho National Parks

After we went to Second Cup and got online for a bit, we headed to Kootenay National Park. We stopped and hiked the Marble Canyon trail. It worked me, and I was red in the face and sweating. It was a canyon cut by a river. It was not a huge canyon like the Grand Canyon, but the river had that pretty green color.We had also stopped at the Paint Pots trail and hiked to a swinging bridge. A couple from Maryland was on the trail, and they told us not to waste our time because the paint pots were not bubbly at all. We also stopped at the picnic area of Olive Lake, and I took a photo or two there of that small, pretty lake. After Marble Canyon, we headed to Radium Hot Springs which is at the opposite end of Kootenay N.P. We did not even stop. The springs fill swimming pools full of people. Phil was not interested in stopping to see just the springs because he said the word radium motivated him to keep moving. We headed to Yoho National Park. I wanted to see Emerald Lake, the Visitors’ Center, and the spiral tunnel for the trains. Between Kootenay and Yoho, it started raining. By the time we got to Golden (township), it was pouring! We did stop at the Visitors’ Center. It was supposed to have a display of fossils from Yoho. It only had a couple. I could see wooden boxes above the exhibit. It is going through renovation, so only a few were available for display. That was disappointing. Then we stopped at the overlook of the lower spiral tunnels. There was a tree blocking one of the tunnels, so my photo was not as good as I had hoped. Emerald Lake came before Field, where the visitors’ center is located, and it was pouring then. We did not turn in. We may or may not go back to see it. I have been blessed to see a lot of beautiful green lakes! We still have Lake Louise to go, and maybe Moraine Lake. It was very chilly today, low 50’s. It will be a two-quilt night tonight, for sure! Tomorrow my beautiful, twin daughters turn 40. It does not seem possible! I will sleep much better tonight than I did 40 years ago!

No comments:

Post a Comment