Thursday, May 27, 2010

Day 4
















Dear GUSSY! What a day!!!!! It was awesome! We left Cheyenne about 9:15 this morning and headed to Estes Park, CO. Cheyenne is not in the mountains. When we hit Loveland, CO, you could see the Rockies. It looked like a mural. The ride from Loveland to Estes Park was a spiritual experience. Going through Big Thompson Canyon, along the Big Thompson River with the awesome geology changing constantly made us think of God and how he must have smiled as he thought all of these features into being. Then we burst out of the Big Thompson and wowzers!!! There they were, the ROCKIES. Boom!


I'll post some photos that have little fuzzy things on them. Those are smushed bugs on the windshield that yesterday's rain did not wash off. Phil could not possibly stop every time I wanted a photo, thus the reflection and bug smudges. Oh well, what's a girl supposed to do? We stopped at the Visitor's Center and walked a bit in Estes Park. Then we ate lunch and headed into Rocky Mt. National Park. Because there is still a lot of snow and ice on the roads, we were only able to go up to Rainbow Curve turnaround (11 miles), but we were able to go on a lot of other roads. We saw things we never saw on the last trip. Going up one road, I saw some swirls in the snow. I told Phil it looked like snow board trails. We could not imagine how a snowboarder could get up there, unless a helicopter dropped them off. I took a photo. Shortly we saw a skiier. I am not kidding. I took a photo. He was climbing up that snow bank in his skiies. Our jaws dropped. We were huffing and puffing just walking to the visitor's center and the museum. Also, there was still snow up to 10 feet deep. I took a photo! We then started making our way back to Cheyenne. The sunset is beautiful. I had to stop the blog to go take a photo. It may not get in today's blog, but if any turned out, I'll post tomorrow. Tomorrow will probably be dull because it is a day of travel to Casper for Memorial Day Weekend, and it is supposed to rain all day Sat. Stay tuned! I am going to post some photos on Facebook, so check those if you like looking at the photos. I can comment on FB, and I can't here (or don't know how).

1 comment:

  1. These pictures are beautiful! I'm sitting on the porch at the beach and plan on reading every post! I wish you'd post your entire itinerary. Complete with map(as if that wouldn't be asking a little much of you! lol)It would be interesting to see where you've been and how long it took. One of these days, we'd love to take off ourselves!
    There is nothing I enjoy more than traveling. Wayne works so hard, one of these days, maybe he can slow it down and we can pretend we're the Hortons!
    You're lucky to have each other and this time together. It's great that you both enjoy doing this together.
    I'm a moron! Signing in with my blog name! Sorry! It's Carol Anne

    ReplyDelete